Occasionally in my blogs and more often in publications to the Texas ScholarWorks platform, I make use of prolongational analysis, whose original form is Schenkerian analysis and which is sometimes referred to as linear analysis.
This is a spinoff from two active blogs: Ascending Cadence Gestures in Tonal Music and On the Dominant Ninth Chord. The former was started in 2014 (introduction); the latter in 2015 (introduction). Both were themselves spinoffs from my long-running Schubert blog, Hearing Schubert D779n13, begun in 2009 and closed for new content in 2020 after more than 220 posts (link to the blog).
Though I say the two blogs are active, both have largely accomplished their purpose and I feel less incentive to add anything there beyond admin updates.
Ascending Cadence Gestures reported on and continued a research project that began in the 1990s. To date I have found far in excess of a thousand published pieces of music with primary (structural) cadences where the principal melody rises in the end, where the upper register is the primary one throughout (centering about ^8), and/or where what I call a "wedge" figure combines rising and falling figures in different dispositions.
On the Dominant Ninth Chord was meant as a historical survey and documentation of the dominant major-ninth chord in European and European-influenced music from roughly 1800 to 1950. My most recent posts on arranging manuals from the 1920s to 1940s seem to me to come close to finishing out the account.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.